British Lieutenant Governor and then full Governor here from 1788 to 1794 and got this municipality started. His commission also authorized him to act as full Governor in case of death or absence of Governor in Chief and Captain General William Browne (a British Loyalist born in Massachusetts, USA), who left Bermuda on October 27, 1788, never to return, although he was technically still Governor of Bermuda more than a year later.It was not until January 1, 1790 that Hamilton officially became full Governor of Bermuda.In Bermuda and Dominica, the largest of the British Caribbean territories, he was very much a diplomat.In Dominica, most of the inhabitants there regarded him as the savior from the French who several times tried uprisings.
A small train and its carriages - on wheels not a track - takes fare paying passengers via a stop here to the City Hall and various other vantage points for visitors nearby. On January 7, 2014 it amalgamated with and on April 22, 2014 changed its name. But to avoid a busiest times of the main road, pick an evening before dark or a weekend.
It was easily the largest in Bermuda but was burnt down over four decades ago and never rebuilt.
The Hamilton Princess Hotel in Pembroke Parish and a number of smaller properties are within walking distance for those who are able to do so.
No hotels are in the city now, although one has long been planned. They included the American Hotel and Canadian Hotel - when the city had a thriving trade of agricultural produce shipped weekly from its port.
Later, there was the large Hamilton Hotel, where the City Hall and its Car Park are now.