Syracuse China Corporation, located in Syracuse, New York, was a manufacturer of fine china. The company was founded in 1841 as Farrar Pottery and was bought out in 1868 and the name was changed to Empire Crockery Manufacturing Company. Co.) in the town of Geddes, New York, the company initially produced earthenware. The manufacturing facility in Syracuse closed in 2009, after 138 years in operation and production was removed from North America.Pattern # 50204 Place Setting showing select pieces. Two of the kilns were used for the first and second burning of the pottery and the other two kilns were used for the glazing process.It took from three to five days to pack each kiln with enough ware and the first burning lasted from 30 to 48 hours.The majority of china at that time was imported from England and was considered superior to the earthenware produced in the United States.
In 1857, Farrar moved his pottery closer to the newly constructed Erie Canal on Furnace Street (later renamed to West Fayette Street). In his first year, he used 225 tons of clay from New Jersey and he sold the company wares for ,360.
Pass introduced the new china body to the public in 1891 with a line of fancy accessory pieces called Imperial Geddo. Around 1949, the pattern was revived on a restyled pottery shape with gold trim, and named Stansbury.
His new ware won the medal for translucent china at the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1893. The company had four kilns 16.5 feet (5.0 m) in diameter.
In 1868, Farrer sold his business to Peter Coykendall, a native of New Jersey who had settled in Syracuse in the early 1850s.
He owned the property where Farrar's property stood.